Tuesday, October 2, 2012

And then I told a cop that The Prince's Jeep is a piece of junk

On Friday afternoon I was shopping with my friend Nora.

I had dropped The Prince off at work earlier in the day so that we would be able to drive around in his Jeep.

This, my friends, is the Jeep that I've named "baa baa bad Jeep".

Because it's such a hunk of junk.

Anywho, I'm driving the Jeep, and we're approaching a busy intersection.

I was about to make a left turn.

And then the Jeep just stopped.

It shut off.

It was done.

Nora and I exchanged glances and started to laugh nervously.

I grabbed my phone and called The Prince:

Me: "HEY. Your piece of shit Jeep just SHUT OFF."

The Prince: "That's what happens when you turn the key toward you."

Me: "THIS IS NO TIME FOR FUNNY. I'm serious, I'm in the middle of an intersection, the Jeep is stopped, I can't get the keys out, I can't turn them, I don't know what to do."

The Prince: "Okay, calm down."

Me: "PEOPLE ARE HONKING AT ME."

The Prince: "Did you-"

Me: "Holy shit, there's a cop, I gotta go."

So then this cop pulled up behind me and came to the window:

Cop: "What's going on here?"

Me: "I don't know, it just shut off, can you help me? I'm sorry I'm holding up traffic."

Cop: "I can take a look."

Me: "Thank you, thank you."

Cop: "Oh."

Me: "What's wrong?"

Cop: *fiddles around, starts Jeep with no issues*

Me: "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"

Cop: "You know you have to put a vehicle in park to start it, right? You still had it in gear."

Me: "Crap. I know that. I can't believe I just did that. I'm sorry. I don't know why it stopped."

Cop: "Well, I'd like to know why it stopped. That's kind of an issue."

Me: "It's not my Jeep, it's my boyfriend's. I think it's a piece of junk."

Cop: "Oh. Okay. Move along, then."

So then I got back in the Jeep:

Me: "Nora, we are not going to tell The Prince what actually happened here. We're not telling him that I didn't put it in park. This whole ordeal is all his fault. We're going to say that the cop did something magical to make it start."

Nora: "Okay. I'm on board with the plan."

And then later, when we picked The Prince up from work:

Me: "Hi sweetie."

The Prince: "Hey guys."

Me: "So, I hate your Jeep."

The Prince: "You couldn't start it because it was still in gear, am I right?"

Me: "No, you're not right."

The Prince: "I know I'm right. The truth is written all over your face and even Nora's face."

Me: "It wasn't still in gear!"

The Prince: "Yes it was."

Me: "BAA BAA BAD JEEP."

With embarrassment,

22 comments:

  1. I hate to say this, but his meat eating magical powers make him able to read your vegetarian/vegan faces like a deck of cards. Eat a burger, he'll never be able to tell a lie again. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO That's happened to me. Well, not at an intersection. In the driveway. But yeah, it's so not funny when that shit happens . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah this is SO something that would happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this kind of embarrassing crap wayyy too often...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you wouldn't have had to restart it if it hadn't just stopped....so still his fault.
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahaha! It is a fear of mine for my car to just stop at a busy intersection. Good thing that cop was able to get it started. I would have totally done the same thing and tried to play it off like I did nothing wrong. But then my face would give away the truth too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMFAO! I'm so guilty of this happening to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have said well its still an ugly jeep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had that happen to me when I was newly minted in driving, and I had only driven a stick. but i was in a driveway, I couldn't get the lights off, or the hazards.. yeah.. and a cop pulled right up.

    I had already broken curfew.. etc. good times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise JESUS! It's not just me!!! *does a happy dance* I have done this TWICE in my driving lifetime. Once when I was still in high school and again this last July in my sisters car.

    Why DOESN'T the car tell you that you aren't in park? It beeps at you for every other little thing but not that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you never gave up your story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. whahahaha! Sounds like your bf knows you all too well!

    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. that just made me think of this proposal video that I saw not too long ago..... hang on...let me find it...

    This: http://vimeo.com/23462420

    The part when he's talking about his luck and he's like "when I drove my first car, for the first time, and learned that it just shut off when making left-hand turns." THAT'S A LEGIT THING SO NOW YOU CAN GO TELL PRINCE AND BE ALL "HA HA HA, TOLD YOU." etc.

    Also, you should watch that video because it's awesome.

    Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehehehehe *swallows* well, WHY did the jeep stop in the FIRST place? I mean, it shouldn't have stopped at all. So whatever caused it to stop in the first place is HIS fault, and he needs to get that looked at. This whole intersection/cop thing would never have happened if it hadn't stopped. Nevermind that you couldn't get it to start at that time... why did it stop in the first place!! Focus on the real point! *guffaw*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, man...I loved it when my old boyfriend's Jeep would break down. Hours of unsupervised, unscheduled time away from friends or family, on dark roads...mmm. Needless to say, I was never motivated to help fix the car. And after we'd been apart (as in, not-together) for a few weeks, it broke down near my dorm and we did a little...shall we say, reconciling?

    I'm rooting for the Jeep on this one.

    Just bring the Prince with you, and have the ba ba bad Jeep become a love machine, that strategically ceases to work for nobody but you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "baa baa bad jeep" is an adorable name for a jeep, regardless of the mischief it gets into! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like something I'd attempt to do to cover up for my wrongs :P Great story as ever! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. ahahahha good for you, stick with the story. I would have freaked the fuck out if that happened to me

    ReplyDelete
  19. A couple weeks ago I tried to drive without starting the car. I put it in reverse, rolled down a hill, then wondered why it was so hard to turn. Side note: my car may be very easy to steal...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for this story, I needed a good a laugh!! And for the record, the lesson I took away is that cops have magical powers. The End. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.