Wednesday, September 19, 2012

And then The Prince won an argument for possibly the first time ever

Getting into bed after I finished painting my nails with really glittery nail polish:

Me: "Wow! Every time my nails come into my field of vision, they're all I can look at!"

The Prince: "That's because your attention span is, in general, zero."

Me: "No, I don't think it's that. I think it's because I like shiny things so much. I'm like a magpie."

The Prince: "What's a magpie?"

Me: "A bird that is attracted to shiny things. I think they collect sparkly things in their nests."

The Prince: "That sounds made up."

Me: "It's not! I know it's not because there's the magpie bird in The Secret of NIMH! You know, the big black bird in the movie? He likes sparkly things? I think his name is Jeremy."

Jeremy the magpie: "Ooooh a sparkly!" [via]

The Prince: "I don't think that a fictional character possessing such a trait makes it true, sweetie."

Me: "Fine! I'll Google it!"

The Prince: "Okay, but don't get angry when I'm riiiiight..."

Me: "You're not right. You're never right. Here's the Wikipedia page. I'll read it to you."

The Prince: "Okaaay."

Me, reading from Wikipedia: "...The Magpie has long been associated with a habit of stealing or otherwise collecting shiny objects... howeverthisbeliefhasnoevidenceinwildlifestudies."

The Prince: "Wait, what was that? What was that last part? I missed it. Say it again!"

Me: "IT SAYS THIS BELIEF HAS NO EVIDENCE IN WILDLIFE STUDIES."

The Prince: "So I'm right! Hahaha! I'm RIGHT!"

Me: "Fuck you, go to sleep."

Cheers,

36 comments:

  1. He may be right, but as far as I'm concerned, magpies collect shiny things. It's fact because I read it in a book somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's apocryphal, which makes it a cultural truth. Tell him a cultural anthropologist said so. Also inform him that YOU WIN.

      Delete
  2. YES!! Score one for the gingers! Sorry E, I couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. Ginger score- 1, my score- to infinity and beyond?

      Delete
  3. hahahaha I freaking love Jeremy the Magpie. I don't remember a thing about that movie, but I'm always thinking about "sparklys" in his voice. and our neighborhood was breeding ground for those horrible birds. They would always eat my cat's food and fly into our windows. which usually ended in death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahha. yes. love the sparklies.

      the magpies ate cat food? weirdness.

      Delete
  4. bahaha this is so funny. My boyfriend and I are constantly in these little "arguments" because he's so dadgum stubborn. However, when I Google whatever the issue is, I'm right about 75% of the time still :) Silly boys...
    --Halie
    P.S. - I'm totally on your side here with the sparkly-things-collecting-bird. Sounds legit to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, silly boys.

      and the magpies are legit! they've gotta be!

      Delete
  5. Lol that is hilarious! I love the movie The Secret Of Nimh! I can see where you got your information and I still say you are correct!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time just wave those pretty nails in front of his face calling him a magpie until he says you win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it was in The Secret of Nimh then I think that negates real life. You win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you just put a 'like' button after all your posts like they have on facebook?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was nodding along with you....and you just HAD to read that last part aloud, didn't you?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. as it turns out, honesty is NOT the best policy.

      Delete
  10. Well I didn't even know a magpie was a bird so you both beat me

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's also a Magpie-esque gathering of shiny things in Howl's Moving Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha!
    Funny people! I want to watch that movie now!

    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. He didn't really win. Just because there is no evidence doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just means they haven't found it...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAHAHA. Still on your side though. Because boys are never right. A boy probably wrote that line on that article. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think raccoons are attracted to shiny things as well. That's my version of the magpie. I call it Raccon-itis....it's a real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahha. raccoon-itis... sounds like something my dad would say!

      Delete
  16. ha wow! Learn something new every day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH my GOD, Jeremy was a MAGPIE
    That makes SO MUCH SENSE, why didn't I see it before
    I just assumed he was an avaricious ADHD crow

    I am le dumb. >.< I only had, what, 20 years of loving that movie?
    Thanks, Mgmt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaahhaah. glad I could shine some light on the magpie issue for you, my dear!

      Delete
  18. Oh my gosh, I just tried showing Josie The Secret of Nimh for the very first time today!! Love that movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.