Friday, June 29, 2012

Am I alone in thinking that this is a total "guy thing"?

Last night The Prince and I decided to have a salad for dinner.

I like simple salads. I wanted lentils, mixed greens, cucumber, a little onion, some sprinkled sunflower seeds and some balsamic vinaigrette.

The Prince started cutting up veggies. He asked if he could put some mushrooms in the salad.

"Sure," I said, "But nothing else."

I went to change out of my work clothes and came back to see a mountain of raw cauliflower dumped on top of the aforementioned ingredients.

"NOOOOO. NO CAULIFLOWER. WE HAD CAILIFLOWER LAST NIGHT."

"Tough luck, sweetie, it's going to go bad if we don't eat it."

I stomped away, whining the whole time.

When I peeked into the kitchen again, I saw him slicing some red pepper. A whole red pepper.

"WHY ARE YOU ADDING RED PEPPER? YOU CAN'T JUST THROW EVERYTHING IN THE FRIDGE INTO A BOWL AND CALL IT A SALAD!"

"Kitten. You are a VEGETARIAN. You're supposed to like vegetables."

I ignored this and proceeded to pout.

When it was time to sit down and eat, I stabbed my fork angrily into the "salad", which was really more like a giant bowl of mixed refrigerator contents.

My fork came out carrying a giant chunk of zucchini.

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WHY IS THERE ZUCCHINI IN HERE?"

Am I alone in thinking that this is a total "guy thing"? I find that every time The Prince makes a salad or soup, he figures that EVERYTHING in the fridge is fair game. This always results in a huge bowl of mixed WHATEVER.

And I hate it.

Related: Rustic Salad.

That is all.


18 comments:

  1. lol are you sure you guys aren't married?!?! lol. This is definitely a guy thing! Kev will do that too! Drives me nuts sometimes. I will say Kev is much better at cooking because he isn't scared to do that though. I have to be precise about my cooking, hence why I'm more a baker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it reeaaallly feels like we are, haha.

      The Prince is honestly a great cook, very creative.... just gets a little carried away sometimes!

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's because of all my guy friends or growing up with boys, but if it's in the fridge, it's fair game. My salad the other day had lunch meat, some pasta noodles, nuts, craisins, grapes, red pepper....etc. You get the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp* NO. lunch meat with craisins and grapes?!?! Girrrrrrrl, you're crazy.

      Delete
  3. I'm laughing so hard at this! But Evan is the exact opposite. He follows the recipe to the T and would probably prefer if they said "use 354 grains of salt." he would count out 354 grains of salt. No more, no less. I'm more of a throw it all in there kind of person. And I refuse to measure anything. So.....im basically a really good cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh... so your guy is precise! I envy you.

      I don't measure that often.... guessing is just so much more adventurous. I like to live on the edge.

      Delete
  4. I agree, it's a guy thing to be messy and careless when it comes to little details.
    Or maybe that was his strategy to force you make the dinner all the time. Smarty pants :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe! He does make dinner most nights though, bless his ginger heart.

      Delete
  5. Haha I feel yo pain. The Chef likes to do his 'experimenting' at home. I wince every time I ask him if it's nice and he replies with, 'It's weird, but nice' NO sweet child, weird tasting shit is never NICE, now make me a veggie burger you FOOL!!! Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhaha, I do this too.

      "What did you make? Oh. I think I'm going to have a bowl of cereal..."

      Delete
  6. At the risk of being banned, let's not ignore the fact that The Prince was cooking for you...your meat loving man was cooking veggies for you. You can proceed to send me hate mail now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahaah. No hate mail. I considered while writing this that I sounded sort of bitchy given that he WAS making me dinner...

      Delete
  7. I think the funny thing about salads is that everybody seems quite particular about the way they like their salad.

    While a few simple salads (caprese, beet/carrot/apple, etc.) are my fave, I tend to like lots of "goodies" on my salad. But my stipulation is that the flavors have to compliment each other and make sense -- and I positively loathe huge CHUNKS in my salad (I prefer small chops, at least bite-sized).

    Manfriend, on the other hand, sounds a little more like your Prince... He sort of just throws a bunch of veggies in a "salad" and calls in done. Blech!

    In any case, I hope that you survived ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's the chunks that bother me.

      I did survive it. Barely.

      Delete
  8. Hahaha I am sooo guilty for that. I chuck everything in and then I'm disappointed when it doesn't taste that great. I just hate the idea of wasting things, espesh when it might go off soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I don't like to waste either. Still, I was going to curry the cauliflower, not eat it in salad... it's so much better cooked.

      Delete
  9. Personally, I think that would be awesome to have a fridge-cleaner in the house. I like salads with plenty of stuff besides lettuce.

    But sometimes the combos aren't that great. So you have full authorization to pout in those cases. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he IS good at fridge-cleaning. but.. haha, yeah, sometimes it's scary.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.