Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A story about some diamond earrings

I have a pair of diamond studs. My mom gave them to me one day when I was rifling through one of her drawers. I pulled out the little blue velvet box and opened it.

Me: "Mom, I've never seen you wear these. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen these before at all."

My mom: "Oh! THOSE. You can have those."

Me: "You're just giving me diamonds like it's no big thing? Seriously?"

My mom: "Well, okay. Here's the story. I CAN'T wear those."

Me: "Do they hurt your ears or something? Because then I don't want them either."

My mom: "No, silly, they're gold. They don't hurt my ears. I just don't want them, I've never worn them so you can have them."

Me: "Moommmm, I smell a much bigger storrrryyyy."

My mom: "Okay, fine. Is your dad outside right now? Yes? Okay. Shortly after your dad and I started dating, this guy I used to know showed up at my apartment. He told me he had brought me a present. I was pretty surprised because I had never dated this guy, but whatever. He gave me those diamonds and I freaked out. I told him I couldn't accept them, they were inappropriate, the whole bit. I had no idea he even LIKED ME. In fact, one of my good friends was practically in love with the guy, so I felt really badly. I guess he was pretty upset, so he left. Oh, and he was from New Jersey or somewhere, so it wasn't like I saw him often, we had only met maybe 3 or 4 times. Anyways, he left, and a few hours later I noticed the earrings were sitting on my table in the box. I don't think I ever talked to him again, just saw him at some weddings and stuff. I think his name was Eric."

Me: "MOM."

My mom: "What?! What was I supposed to do?! I was dating your dad at the time! I hid them in a drawer. You just found them. Take them. Don't tell your dad ANY OF THIS."

And that's how I came to own my first pair of diamond earrings. I wear them all the time and laugh whenever I think of where they came from. Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,

37 comments:

  1. Haha! What a great story. And score for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i hope your dad doesn't read your blog otherwise someone is gonna be in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he doesn't. My dad can barely email, and he's a teacher. hehe.

      Delete
  3. That is a GREAT story! :) Love it! And you get a pair of diamonds out of the deal. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Story and I LOVE THE EARRINGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when strangers buy me diamonds. This is a good story, totally dramatic. I love any drama that doesn't involve me, just for the record.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing story!!! Enjoy and wear them in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny! Haha, you got some awesome diamond earrings and a cool story to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's AMAZING!

    I mean, I can't think of a better, more fun way to acquire a pair of sparkly diamond earrings. Boyfriends by damned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhaah, very true. Gifts are sweet, but sometimes stories are sweeter.

      Delete
  9. That is such an awesome way to get diamond earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God your mom married your dad instead of the generous Eric, otherwise we wouldn't have had the privilege to know you
    :)

    Enjoy the earrings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, this is very true! I'm glad she picked the right guy.

      Delete
  11. Well look at your reaping the benefits of your mother's stalkers. Lucky you. I need some real diamond studs. And some studs in general...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty lucky.

      Good studs are hard to find! I had some sweet sterling silver ones but one of the posts broke off! Tragic!

      Delete
  12. Hahaha that's hilarious! At least she didnt get rid of them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, true. Apparently she thought of it a few times.

      Delete
  13. Well hey, that's a good way to acquire some diamond earrings! Lucky you (and lucky your mom?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think my mom was lucky to dodge that guy's advances given the fact that it would have meant life without me :)

      Delete
  14. I WISH I KNEW MORE! DID ERIC ALWAYS LOVE YOUR MUM? DID HE JUST RECENTLY BREAK UP WITH A GF AND THESE WERE A BIRTHDAY GIFT HE DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE? DID HE STEAL THEM? WHAT OTHER ITEMS HAS ERIC GIFTED PRETTY LADIES WITH?

    ARGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wondered if maybe they were a gift for someone else and he just wanted to get rid of them? I don't know!

      I wonder where Eric is now and if his current beau has any diamond earrings.

      Delete
  15. Best. Mom story. Ever. I wish my mom told hilarious stories like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahha, thanks! She's a pretty sweet lady, I must give her that.

      Delete
  16. I think the story is even greater than the fact that said story bequeathed you a pair of diamond earrings. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. buying a beautiful pair of Diamond Earrings is a little daunting task especially for those people who are buying it for the first time. Just Like me :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.