Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Princess and the Goblin and a supposed Magic Thread

This was written in June of 2011, when I still lived at my parent's house in Ontario.

I’m not sure if any of you are familiar with the animated non-classic The Princess and the Goblin? No matter, because what I’m about to tell you will be hilarious anyhow. 

This is a movie that my brother and I used to watch on VHS back in the day. I haven’t watched it in over 10 years, but for some reason this movie came into my mind earlier this week while I was sort of half-asleep, so last night I decided I was going to watch it. My mom and dad were leaving for the evening, so when they left my dad set up the VCR for me, my mom gave my brother some Doritos and me a freezie, and it was fucking 1996 all over again minus a bitchy babysitter. I wasn’t expecting my brother to watch the movie with me, but I guess the nostalgia lured him in. 


Anyways, we watch the movie, mostly laughing at how bad it is the whole time. A key part of the plot is that the princess in the movie is given a “magic thread” from her dead and ghostly grandmother that is supposed to always be there, attached to a ring on her finger, to lead her to safety whenever she needs it. 

So this bitch goes strolling through mines filled with goblins like it’s no big thing, and she’s having a sweet old time following this magical piece of string that always keeps her safe. Near the end of the movie, there’s a tense scene where the goblins have flooded her castle and she’s being swept away by rushing water that leads up to a waterfall (that just appears out of no-fucking-where, by the way). 

Anyway: girl, waterfall, imminent death, right? So she’s left screaming for her little peasant boyfriend to save her as she floats by where he is, on a rock. I’m watching this scene, and right as she’s slipping past the point of safety, my brother bursts out with “WHERE’S YOUR MAGIC THREAD NOW, BITCH?!?!?!” Which was hilarious, yes, but also a really, really valid point. What the? The THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO ALWAYS BE THERE. She winds up being fine (no thanks to the aforementioned “magic” thread whose magic I now doubt) and the movie ends. 

The credits roll. My brother looks over at me with one eye brow raised: “I fucking missed THUNDERCATS for that shit. Unbelievable!” and then storms up the stairs to go to bed. 

I miss my little brother,
 

8 comments:

  1. i feel like i've seen this movie. all kid movies (well most) pretty much have the worst premises ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Hilarious once we've all grown up.

      Delete
  2. Oh my good lord stop it right now I seriously could have written this EXACT post about me and my brother. I swear we were the only kids on the planet that knew about this movie! I am so happy right now! We need to compare childhood movies. Please can we?! Remember the mean troll queen with her big rock slipper things? And the creepy goblin guy with the big hair that liked the princess? Stop it I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhaahhahah YESSSSS.

      I was hoping someone would know this movie, should have guessed it would be you!

      Yeah, the evil queen had to protect her toes I think? And the goblin prince was really gross and picked his nose? ahhhhhh.

      hahaaah you're the best.

      Delete
  3. I think I've started to "smell" Thundercats somewhere around the point I've read the little bear was watching the movie with you :) Boys will be boys, right?
    But he's right about that stupid thread, kids are so smart sometimes, hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhaha yeah. He's a little Thundercats obsessed.

      Delete
  4. Hilarious. I have missed your funny stories! Have you ever seen Fern Gully? Go find it... and download it illegally and then ENJOY! Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE FERN GULLY. And its sequel. Amazeballs.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.