Thursday, April 26, 2012

On playing made-up games in public places (Bonus: Birthday recap!)

The other night on the bus ride home, The Prince and I were playing a little "Guess the movie" game. I made the rules (oh wait, I always make the rules because I'm the bossy one) so we were only describing and guessing Disney movies.

This mostly meant that I would start describing little details of a movie until The Prince guessed which one it was. For example, I said "Okay this movie has a lady in it who wears too much blue eye shadow and fake eyelashes and she is more obsessed with jewelry than I am." 

The Prince had no idea what movie I was talking about, so I continued:

"She has two pets who play the organ."

The Prince then guessed the correct movie, which, for the record, is The Rescuers.

Madame Medusa in all her glory. [via]

The game continued. On one of the Prince's turns to describe a movie, he started to describe The Parent Trap. I protested his selection on the grounds that The Parent Trap, while definitely a Disney movie, is not an animated film. Just in case you're wondering: Yes, this can be classified as changing the rules on the fly. My mother insists that I learned such tricks from my father.

And right then, the old man sitting behind us jumped right into our conversation with a loud "But The Parent Trap is a really good movie."

The Prince and I burst out laughing and of course agreed with the man. The Prince thanked him for taking his side.

By the time we got to our stop, The Prince had grown a little frustrated with the fact that I was guessing every movie he tried to describe after being given one fact. He, on the other hand, was not guessing the ones I described quite so easily.

As we walked to the bus doors, The Prince was mid-rant regarding my "cheating" at the game. I suggested that "Maybe you're just gravely underestimating my Disney knowledge."

And then the bus driver lost his shit laughing at us as we walked off the bus. Oh, the joys of playing our silly made-up games in public places.

***

I realize that some of you might be looking for a Birthday recap today. In short, it was incredible. I am so, so thankful. The Prince and my family spoiled me rotten. My mom had a gorgeous necklace sent to me with the sweetest card that plays Cindi Lauper when opened. The Prince woke me up and walked me from our bed to a pile of presents (Philosophy gift set! Grouplove CD!) and had spent all night decorating our apartment in Disney princess swag and a ton of balloons. I thought that was all wonderful, and THEN he brought me a dozen roses and a new stuffed animal friend (Ella the Elephant) to work. One of the ladies I work with treated me to a delicious vegetarian curry lunch, and when I was done work for the day The Prince took me to an outstanding vegetarian restaurant for dinner. When we got home he revealed a "Chocolate Death" cake from our favourite bakery, complete with 23 candles. OH and my grandma called me, as she does each year, and sang "Happy Birthday" to me over the phone.

Yeah. Amazing. I am such a lucky, lucky girl. The entire day made me feel so loved.

My gorgeous roses that look like flames!
With possibly the biggest grin ever,

24 comments:

  1. Teehee this game looks fun. You should play on your blog.

    Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe I should!

      And I really, really did :)

      Delete
  2. What a great day! I love flame-y colored roses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful day except they should've given you a day off and a raise. Don't they know you are "The Management"? Stupid work places...
    Roses are great, Mr. prince has good taste :)
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I would have loved the day off and DEFINITELY a raise but no such luck.

      He does have good taste. I think I might keep him.

      Delete
  4. Hei! I just found your blog and it is amazing1 I am following it now!

    Also, I would be delighted if you would enter my giveaway so you can win an amazing gift: a handmade jewellery box.
    Here is the link to my giveaway: http://ribbonsandinnocence.blogspot.com/2012/04/giveaway.html

    Good luck!

    xoxo,
    Ana V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those roses are so pretty. Thank you for the sweet words :*


    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love them. Seeing them this morning was so nice.

      You are very welcome, also.

      Delete
  6. Aww that is so cute! What a great way to celebrate your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH I wanna play that game now!! I'm seriously about to go annoy my boyfriend with my Disney knowledge. Glad you had such an awesome birthday! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha go for it! Stump him with Disney facts!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Glad you had such a great day. And I like your game. Sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite public game is played in a mall. My gf and I will go into a random store and see how long it takes before we are harassed by store workers who are on commission. We'll shout "3 feet!" or "10 feet!" depending on how far we get in before we hear "Can I help you find something?"

    If we make it all the way to the back wall, we celebrate with a dance, and then shop around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty sweet. I might have to make The Prince play that with me.

      Delete
  10. The Chef and I play a weird game involving cows and churches and graveyards. It isn't very normal, but we introduced it to some clients we had staying with us and they lapped it up to the point where I had to tell them that this game is only for in the car and playing outside of the car is strictly prohibited, they said I took it too seriously and the kids are only 5! Whatevs! So glad you had a good birthday! :) Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, it's the worst when people go overboard and ruin your fun!

      Delete
  11. Great post sweetie!
    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award :)

    http://brightlightsbigcityrockstar.blogspot.ca/

    <3 Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had to comment to make this 23 comments! Happy Birthday beautiful friend. I was too busy getting drunk for ANZAC day and betting on coins to remember to email you (I also forgot my nephews birthday... birthdays and I just aren't that good).

    I am hating on 23 atm, so I hope yours is much better. I am hoping 24 will open some new doors for me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahha that's okay. I forget almost everyone's birthdays because of that whole "no facebook" thing I stand by.

      I hope 24 opens new doors for you too! Love you!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.