Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mason Jar Madness: Super Spinach & Strawberry Salad

I'm joining a major trend here by posting about putting my meals in mason jars, but whatevs. I'm over it, because after eating this salad in all its mason jar glory, I sent a text to the Prince that read:

OFFICIAL REPORT ON THIS SALAD: AMAZEBALLS.

Besides that, I struggle with getting up early enough to make a lunch, and while the Prince is a doll and sometimes packs one for me the night before, I figured it's about time I start contributing to this field of our living together arrangement.

I made five jars of ready-to-shake-and-eat salad in my beloved mason jars. Truthfully, they turned out awesome.

Here's a sort-of description of what I did to make these...

In the bottom of each jar I put enough low-fat Lemon Poppyseed dressing to be what I considered appropriate.

(Yes, for future reference- this is how I measure everything when I cook. It makes you crazy, I know.)

I threw some plain broccoli slaw on top of that. You can get bags of broccoli slaw (which usually include shreds of red cabbage and carrot in them) for less than two bucks at stores. Two dollars is worth waaaaay less than the time it would take to shred that shit myself.

On top of these I put a few raisins. Because they were in my kitchen.

Next, a layer of thinly sliced cucumbers, followed by a layer of thinly sliced strawberries.

On top of that, I sprinkled some sliced almonds because yum, and a tiny, tiny bit of crumbled blue cheese, because experimenting.

By this point, I had what looked like this from the top:


And like dis from zee side:


Then the easy part: cram spinach in the jar until it's full, so they all look like this:


Then put the cute little things in the fridge and go to bed dreaming of how delicious they are going to be when you have lunch at work tomorrow. Also spend time bragging to your boyfriend about how brilliant you are, and how all the bitches (here meant affectionately) at work are going to be jealous of your salad.

I ate mine right out of the jar, though I guess I could have used a plate but I hate dishes so NOPE. I took the spinach out of the jar before I ate and tore it up a little with my hands so that shaking the ingredients up would be a little easier. Next time I do this, I will pre-shred the spinach to save myself being kinda gross.

All in all, these are great and I'm going to make them again, probably sooner than I'm hoping, since I bet that The Prince is going to eat them all on me.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazeballs. Amazeballs in mason jars. Win Win!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.