Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bambi Gloves

I'm vegetarian. I think that every "vegetarian" sort of has their own rule book, so here's mine:

I don't eat any meat at all. No, not fish either. I don't eat anything that contains meat, like chicken broth, for example. At restaurants, I ask to make sure that the seemingly veg-friendly offerings are legitimately vegetarian. I've lived this way (and totally loved it) for four and a half years. 

Why? Because I've never liked meat. I think this has something to do with my grandfather insisting on making the corresponding animal noise of whatever meat was on my dinner plate back when I was a kid. For example, we'd be having pork chops and he'd ask me how the "Oink Oink" was.

My grandpa is kind of a jerk, sure, but that's not the story here.

Anyway, I also subscribe to the whole "let's not mistreat the animals, slaughterhouses suck, meat is bad for you and the environment" mindset. It's kind of nice.

My problem, then?

Good gracious, I love me some leather. I love leather jackets, leather boots, leather purses, leather furniture, uggghhh it's so exhaustively excellent and I want to wear it all the time.

... You see it, right? The glaring hypocrisy? Yeah. I've often felt that I need to defend my leather love affair, until yesterday when I was shopping and I FOUND A CURE TO THE WHOLE ISSUE.

The scene: I see a pair of beautiful leather gloves that I impulsively feel I must buy because they are warm, lovely, and LEATHER. As I'm poring over them with glee, I check the swing tags out. There, in big black bold font:

MADE FROM REAL DEER SKIN.

Which to me said: YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON AND A CRAPPY VEGETARIAN HOW DARE YOU ATTEMPT TO WEAR BAMBI ON YOUR HANDS.

I quickly dropped the gloves and walked away in shame.

Basically, all I'm saying is that if Coach purses came with tags that said "Made from Moo Cow Skin", I would probably be a better (if not richer) individual.

2 comments:

  1. Wolfgang- yeah, that's almost scary, but I kind of have to agree with it. Veganism is also way over my head.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, lovely human.